There are a number of surprising benefits to coloring for children of all ages. The following are ten ways that children benefit from coloring.
1. Handwriting. The same muscles used to hold crayons and markers for coloring are also used for holding pens and pencils for writing. By building these muscles coloring – as well as improving their hand pencil grasp – children can see an improvement in their handwriting.
2. Hand-eye Coordination. Making small movements to shade in a specific area can help young children improve their motor function and hand-eye coordination. This is especially true of difficult or challenging patterned coloring sheets.
3. Color recognition. Young children can benefit from coloring as they are learning color recognition, such as picking a green crayon for grass or a blue crayon for the sky. Likewise, older children can explore mixing colors to create different blends and combinations; coloring can also help children learn the names of lesser known colors such as fuchsia, onyx, umber, or marigold.
4. Focus. Studies have shown that children who regularly color have improved concentration and focus. These skills go beyond just finishing a coloring page; better focus can help your child concentrate in school, complete work, and get homework done in the evening.
5. Creativity. Drawing and coloring helps your child express their creativity. Even if your child colors outside the lines or uses the wrong colors for everyday objects, praise their work. Coloring is also an opportunity to teach your children how to choose complementary colors or fill up blank space on a page.
6. Relaxation. While it teaches other applicable skills, coloring is relaxing and fun more than anything else. Likewise, completing a coloring page – no matter how difficult – gives children a sense of pride and accomplishment.
8. Quality time. Coloring can be just as relaxing and enjoyable for adults as it is for children. After a difficult day, sit down with your child and work on a coloring page! Not only will you get to spend quality time together, but it can be a fun way to end your day together.