Fall is the perfect time for creating crafts that the whole family can participate in and enjoy. There are many DIY art projects that can be made at low cost by using colorful items around your own backyard!
• Have kids gather leaves from your yard or through a nature walk.
• Take the leaves inside and gently brush away any dirt still clinging to the leaves.
• Lay out newspapers on a table, and have kids paint one side of their leaves with fall colors.
• Press the painted side of the leaves onto cardstock or paint-friendly paper.
• Pull back the leaves slowly and allow paint to dry.
Pinecone Bird Feeder
• Fill the bottom of a pan, cardboard box, or box lid with birdseed.
• Have kids collect pinecones from your yard or by taking them on a nature walk.
• Take the pinecones inside and have kids spread peanut butter on each cone using a spatula.
• Roll each cone through the birdseed in the pan or box, making sure there is no peanut butter left showing.
• Tie a piece of string to the bottom of the cone and hang from a tree in your yard or porch.
• Take a brown paper bag and have kids draw a jack-o-lantern smile or spooky face on with pencil.
• Take a pair of scissors and cut out the tracings of each face on each bag.
Place a small votive candle inside each bag, carefully light the candle, and turn off the lights to see the bag’s illuminated face.